Thursday, April 22, 2010

Into the Land of Technocrats

Into every one's life a little rain must fall and the sun must shine. Yesterday for me, the sun did shine. You have to understand that I am not a technical person by any means. For me just turning on the computer is a major accomplishment, oh, I'd better plug it in first. So if I download something onto my computer without my hubby's help, that is a huge step forward for me (How will I ever survive out on the road with all the equipment on a 5th wheel I will never know. But hey, even and old dog can learn new tricks).

When I got my computer three years ago, it had a built in camera, light and microphone. I took one look at it and covered the camera up with tape, thinking of all the horror stories, i.e. Criminal Minds, that I had heard about people being able to hack into your system and see you on their end without your knowledge. Besides I knew that I would never use that feature on the system.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

My friend Bobbie Chapman introduced me to Skype yesterday. Last night I got home from work, read up on Skype and did the download. Oh Happy Day. My first and only call was to Bobbie as she is the only person in my Skype directory that I know. She was not in, darn! I had my line open and called Dave to my office. I told him about Skype, at first he was skeptical then Bobbie called and we hooked up with the video and gosh it was soooooo fun! Dave was amazed at the clarity and quality of the program and we had a great conversation to boot. After our call we decided that we needed to get all of our family on Skype. That way we can see the new grand baby when he arrives. What a wonderful way to stay in touch with your loved ones and friends and see them too if you have a camera and microphone. If not, you can use a headset with a mic and talk to them for free. Free is good!!!

Now for the cell phone...still not able to navigate through all of it and I've had it for over a year now. And don't get me started on all of the gadgets for the TV, DVD player, Wii and tuner, I tend to throw the controllers when I can't work them...see I told you I was not techno literate.

See ya out there...987 days and counting...



2 comments:

  1. Great post, Susie. I laughed so hard at your putting tape over the webcame because you thought "they" could see you. It was meant that "they" could "see" you by seeing your computer online...see inside your computer....not "see" you literally via the webcam :)) (smiling with my double chin). Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Folks, it's AL from The Bayfield Bunch here. Saw your comment about the border & knew that I had blogged about problems a few times so did a search of my posts. Here are a couple posts dealing in part with border problems. In the last 5 times crossing from Canada into the States we have been pulled over for agriculture checks 3 times. Of the 5 returning trips into Canada we have been flagged for inspection once.

    http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2008/11/on-road-again.html

    http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2010/03/sooooo-glad-to-finally-be-home.html

    ReplyDelete