Saturday, April 17, 2010

Getting Started...992 Days and Counting

I splurged yesterday and bought Jaimie Hall Bruzenak's new eBook "Retire to an RV, The Roadmap to Affordable Retirement" "Thank you Jaimie!" It's her newest book that was released on Tax Day and I got it for $2.00 off the regular price on-line. Boy is it ever a monster to print out. But it will be worth it. I added a blank sheet of paper to the end of each chapter so I could use it for notes. I don't think I could use a Nook at the moment. I like to write notes in the margins and put sticky notes on pages. So using an electronic device at the moment won't work for me. Besides I just like the feel of a book in my hands and turning pages. I thumbed through it and saw a lot of valuable information, so I am eager to read it.

I started going through the china cabinet today with my youngest daughter and we made some decisions on some of the things in the cabinet. She picked out some items that she would like to have. It really is a process that needs to be done when both the girls are here so we can split the contents fairly.

I have 3 sets of fine china. I know what set the oldest one is getting but the other two sets were a bit of a mystery in which the youngest one looked at the two of them and made the choice to take her maternal grandmother's china. It is a beautiful pattern and can be purchased at fine department stores. My china, which my Mother-in-law started for me, can only be purchased one place in the world. In Alberta, Canada. The Alberta Rose, a special pattern. It is beautiful but a pain to replace if broken. We will have more of an opportunity to replace it as we plan to get back up there to visit friends and family.

I don't know what to do with it for now other than to pack it up and put it in storage. I may take a few pieces of it on the road with us so if we want to have a lovely candle light dinner for two, I will have it. We love hot tea so I know I will take the tea pot with us and maybe a serving dish and a platter. And at least some cocoa mugs and tea cups. It doesn't hurt to have a few fine things with you. That decision will happen as we load the trailer.

I have already gotten rid of a boat load of clothes and gone through my closet once. I have 3 other closets to go through and purge again. I most likely will go through them many more times before I am finished with them. David's closet is easy. Throw everything away except for one pair of nice slacks, some of his favorite Hawaiian shirts, his work pants, jeans, some of his favorite casual work shirts and a suit for a dress up occasion. Work boots, tennis shoes, shower shoes and a pair of dress shoes. As you can see he is easy. As for me, I will keep a nice skirt, blouse and jacket. A nice decorative sweater, tops, jeans and sweats. And maybe a workout outfit. Pare down time. I have way too many clothes. I most likely will give them to Goodwill or Salvation Army as women's clothes don't sell well at garage sales. Besides I can use the tax write off.

My Mary Kay room is going to be a killer to go through and figure out what I will need to let go of and what to bring with me. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I joined www.flylady.net to help me get my act together and start de-cluttering. She has lots in interesting information and motivation.

Ah the kitchen, I wish I could take the whole thing thing with me but alas I cannot. So I will have to make some hard decisions here. I really like to cook outside so I more than likely will take cookware that will withstand an open flame (cast iron), I know I will have to be weight aware.

Dave's office...well is Dave's office, stuffed to the gills with film, slides, photos, newspaper clippings, files, VHS tapes, and junk. It will be the hardest room in which to get rid of stuff. I will wager that he will take the longest to de-junk.

I really don't want to wait 992 days before I can get out on the road but that is what the "Dave Ramsey" snowball spreadsheet tells me that I will have to wait to get rid of my cc debt. So we chip away at it each day. Besides I need to build up my retirement income after the hit I took on it due to the loss in the Real Estate market. It wasn't as bad a hit as some people had as I stayed on top of it, but it hurts anyways. And we are going to take another hit as the University is not going to put as much into our retirement fund as before. So staying there for a bit longer will help. Besides that gives me more time to research and prepare for life on the open road.

I will put up some pictures of the china when I can find my camera. I am going to hit the hay for now and get some shut-eye.

See ya out there...

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Susie. You are getting there. Most important is to get your MIND set to the new lifestyle and the rest will happen. One cast iron skillet though...too heavy to have more IMO

    ReplyDelete