Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Moving Forward...

They say time stops for no man...or woman...boy is that ever true!  How to move forward.  If you read my other blog dasusmusings you know that my husband passed away at the beginning of last month.  It's been one hell of an ordeal! We just now got news that we can finally get the death certificate.  All I can say is dying sucks for the survivors.  But I digress.

Again...how to move forward.  Dave was taking his time de-cluttering, reading every story that he had clipped over the past 17 years. He would read them and then tell me that the stories stayed the same over the years just the players have just changed.  I don't have time for that, read or not, out it goes.  Boxes and boxes of newspaper clippings and complete newspapers, talk about a fire hazard!  I have so much to get rid of it's not funny.  

Several of our neighbors said they would come and help me get ready for a garage sale, which I really appreciate but they haven't seen my garage yet...I haven't seen my garage in years. Dave saved every box that every appliance came in. Reasoning...we might have to send it back in the original box. That has happened only once (in 41 years) when my computer died and I had to send it in as part of a class action suite. Also in the garage is a ton of equipment of a friend who passed away that I now have to dispose of.  

Clothes...what to do with Dave's clothes.  I've decided that I'm going to give them to the homeless shelter.  I know they will be appreciated and well used.

So much to do. Stay tuned to see how it goes.  I am determined!  

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Sweetie Pie, my heart goes out to you and to the task ahead of decluttering. Bite by bite is how you eat an elephant and how you declutter till you can see your garage floor again. Accept all the help you can get to take clothing to the homeless shelter for you, or to take boxes of paperwork to the dump. You'll get it done....you are determined!!!! and I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I make a suggestion that we did not do? If we had it all to do over we would look into having an estate sale. (Yes, you would have to get much of the trash out first.) Your family could get what they want and let the estate people set up the rest to sell. We did the garage sales and that is hard. I believe we could have made much more with an estate sale. I agree that a homeless shelter would love to get the clothing. We also are taking lots of documents that we don't need to a shredding company. That way you could concentrate on keeping the things you or your family want and organizing legal documents you need to retain. Later down the road you might want to scan the documents and get rid of unnecessary paper copies...we are in the process of doing that now. I will also do the same for photos later. Just a suggestion...but an estate sale would have been much better for us. You hang in there! I know that there is a lot to do, but you can wade through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't overdo too fast. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete